Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pigeons and Doves :: African Mourning Dove
African Mourning Dove Streptopelia decipiens
Described by: Hartlaub; Finsch (1870)
Alternate common name(s): Mourning Collared Dove, African Morning-Dove, Mourning Collared-Dove, Angola Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, Fulvous-breasted Dove
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangeSahel zone, and e. to sc. Africa;
Fragmented distribution in s. part of its range;
(1) Mauritania, Senegambia, s. Mali, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin, s. Niger and c. Nigeria.
(2) E. Sudan (Darfur), Ethiopia and nw. Somalia.
(3) S. Ethiopia and s. Somalia to n. and e. Kenya.
(4) W. Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi and c. Tanzania.
(5) Lake Chad, e. Cameroon, Central African Republic, s. Sudan, n. and e. Zaire, n. and w. Uganda.
(6) Angola to se. Zaire, w. Zambia, Namibia, n. and e. Botswana, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique (Limpopo Valley) and ne. South Africa (nw. Transvaal).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.